St. Mark and Venice Highlights walking tour
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
|Tour Type||Walking tour with private guide|
|Meeting point:||To be arranged upon hotel location|
|Meeting time:||at your choice|
Enjoy this private tour that will introduce you to the main sites of Venice with priority entrance to St. Mark’s Basilica, the original chapel of the Doge.
Let the St. Mark’s Basilica astonish you for the richness of the gold ground mosaics, the statues and the altarpiece Pala d’Oro made by Byzantine craftsmen, an outstanding artefact of St. Mark’s treasure. Piazza San Marco was the very heart of the city and your guide will give you a vivid portrait of the Doge’s times through the main buildings of the square: the Doge’s Palace, the Clock Tower built in the 15th century and the elegant arcades that host Caffè shops and restaurants
Proceeding to Castello district you will pass through intricate alleys admiring the Santa Maria Formosa Church in one of the biggest squares of the city, the house of Marco Polo, the great traveller of the 13th century author of Il Milione, the Campo of St. John and Paul with the medieval Basilica, considered the Pantheon of Venice due to the twenty-five Doges buried in the church.
Finally you will reach the Rialto Bridge, another landmark in the commercial and financial district of the city, from which you will enjoy a preferential view of Venice and the Grand Canal.
Main sites visited
- St. Mark's Basilica and Pala d'Oro altarpiece
- St. Mark's Square
- Bridge of Sighs
- Marco Polo house
- Santa Maria Formosa Church
- St. John and Paul’s Basilica
- Private official guide
- St. Mark’s Basilica and Treasure admission tickets
- Other admission tickets are not included
- Transports are not included in the price
- Shorts, tank tops and sleeveless garments are not allowed in churches, therefore in summer you can carry a sweater or other item of clothing to wrap around your bare shoulders before entering any holy sites.
- Please remember that pictures and filming are not allowed inside St. Mark's Basilica, before entering the church it is mandatory to deposit bulky luggage and bags in the cloakroom beside it.
- To visit some churches you could be asked a symbolic contribution used for maintenance and restoration of artworks, to be paid on the spot.