Orvieto and the Middle Ages excursion
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
|Tour Type||Private tour with English speaking driver and official guide|
|Meeting point:||at the hotel|
|Meeting time:||at your choice|
Enjoy a daily excursion with a private driver, who will unveil the beauty of Umbria region visiting cities off the beaten path and will make you enjoy a memorable experience.
You will arrive to Orvieto, the medieval town located on the flat summit of a large butte of volcanic tuff and surrounded by defensive walls. Here you will meet your private guide for a tour of the medieval Cathedral dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin and the inside Chapel of San Brizio decorated with magnificent frescoes, the St. Patrick’s Well, built by Pope Clement VII escaped from Rome in 1527, and other main sites of the ancient village.
Exploring the countryside of Umbria region you will immerse yourself in a fusion of natural landscapes and cultivated fields on your way to Civita di Bagnoregio, a ghost town founded by Etruscans over twenty-five hundred years ago that is located on atop a plateau of friable volcanic tuff. From there you will enjoy a breathtaking view of the Tiber river valley and the impressive geology formation of the Calanchi.
Before returning back to Rome you will stop by Lake Bolsena, a crater lake of volcanic origin once inhabited by Etruscan and Romans that still holds traces of the former history.
Main sites visited
- Orvieto town
- Civita di Bagnoregio town
- Lake Bolsena
- Umbria countryside
- Private transportation with driver
- Official guide for two hours in Orvieto
- St. Patrick's Well admission tickets
- Orvieto's Cathedral and Chapel of San Brizio admission tickets
- No other admission tickets required
- Extras and meals are not included in the price
- Especially in summer weather could be quite hot, therefore we recommend to bring with you water, head cover, sunglasses and sunscreen lotion
- To visit some churches you could be asked a symbolic contribution used for maintenance and restoration of artworks, to be paid on the spot