Ostia Antica and Roman scavi excursion
- ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
|Tour Type||Private tour with English speaking driver and official guide|
|Meeting point:||at the hotel|
|Meeting time:||at your choice|
Escape from the crowd of the city and move yourself back to the Imperial Rome with a private excursion to the Ostia Antica archeological site, just outside the city centre.
Ostia was the harbor of ancient Rome, founded by the king Ancus Marcius in the 7th century BC and deeply expanded during the Imperial times. Your private guide will conduct you through the different areas of the huge Ostia Antica archeological site, that will surprise you for the excellent preservation of its buildings and the ancient residences of the upper class (Domus), with magnificent frescoes and exquisite mosaics.
After the visit you will proceed to the old town of Ostia, characterized by the medieval district with the Church of Sant’Aurea and the imposing castle built by the Pope Julius II in the 15th century. The town is placed in the mouth of the Tiber river and it played a crucial role in the World War II.
After exploring Ostia and the ruins of the ancient harbour city, you will return back to your hotel through a panoramic road that will make you enjoy the striking landscapes of Rome’s countryside.
Main sites visited
- Ostia Antica archeological site
- Roman Amphitheatre
- Baths of Neptune
- Julius II Castle (from outside)
- St. Aurea’s Church
- Private transportation with driver
- Official guide for two hours
- Ostia Antica admission tickets
- No other admission tickets required
- Extras and meals are not included in the price
- Especially in summer weather could be quite hot, therefore we recommend to bring with you water, head cover, sunglasses and sunscreen lotion
- No specific dress code is required, however we suggest to wear comfortable shoes